PUBLIC POLICY and ADVOCACY WATCH
Business and Professional Women’s Foundation works with women, employers and policymakers to create successful workplaces that practice and embrace diversity, equity and work-life balance. Through groundbreaking research, a network of national supporters and as a neutral convener of employers and employees, BPW Foundation leads the way in developing and advocating for polices and programs that “work” for both women and businesses.
BPW Foundation Policy Focus Areas:
Equal Pay for Women | Work-Life Balance | Working Women in the Green Economy
Women Veterans in Transition | Young Careerists
BPW continues to demonstrate our unwavering commitment to advocate on behalf of working women, women veterans, and their families. During the past year, BPW Foundation has been actively engaged on the front lines of “hot button issues” that impact the lives of ALL working women, including:
- BPW Foundation’s report of findings and agreements reached during our Joining Forces for Women Veterans Summit has been widely used by government, public, and private sector organizations to support women veterans’ reintegration in the civilian workforce.
- BPW Foundation’s partnership with Ed2Go and Military to Medicine created new scholarship opportunities for women veterans.
- BPW Foundation CEO Deborah Frett participated in the White House announcement and launch of Joining Forces for Military Families. Our Joining Forces for Women Veterans and Military Spouses Mentoring Plus® program is a focal grassroots component of this national initiative.
- BPW Foundation released two research-based reports for use by employers and businesses: Gen Y Women in the Workplace and Gen Y Women To Employers: What They Want in the Workplace and Why It Matters for Business.
- BPW Foundation conducted research on broadband usage and habits among subsets of women in the workplace and released a report quantifying the impact and implications of high speed internet on their employment and career choices.
- Career Advancement Scholarships were renewed with BPW Legacy Partners handling the application and selection process.
- Thanks to you, our supporters, BPW Foundation garnered the most votes in the Alliant Credit Union Foundation “People Voting to Give Back on Facebook” campaign and received $14,000 to support our programs for women veterans.
- BPW Foundation joined with other leading women’s organizations to inform and educate women about key issues in the upcoming fall election through participation in “HERvotes Blog Carnivals.” Topics have included violence against women, jobs and employment, extension of unemployment insurance benefits, sexual harassment in the workplace, and women’s perspective on the Affordable Health Care Act.
- BPW Foundation signed letters to Congress in support of legislation including the Family Fairness Act; Healthy Families Act; and the Heart Disease Education, Analysis, Research, and Treatment (HEART) for Women Act.
- BPW Foundation signed on in support of the Riker vs. Quinnipiac University Amicus Brief to ensure enforcement of Title IX, and commented to the U.S. Department of Labor on Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) regulations.
- BPW Foundation’s Joining Forces for Women Veterans and Military Spouses Mentoring Plus® was launched in January, 2012 and is connecting volunteer working women mentors with women veteran and military spouse mentees to enable their successful reintegration in the civilian workplace.